View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 07:46 AM
omak

Originally Posted by wildyard
I spent today working on adding borders.. have the first two on, and then spent hourssssssss... sewing strips to make the scrappy border. I'm thinking there is a better way to do this. LOL... I can't imagine how long piano keys must take if scrappy is taking me this long.
You need a lot of keys, strips, rectangles or squares to make a border long enough for a quilt that's full size or a little bigger.
I don't know if you will find this helpful, but rather than cutting the strips to the size of your border, why not take all your longer strips, stitch them together in sets of six or twelve (or whatever number you like) and then cut them to the width you desire?
If you know you are going to be using scraps for piano key borders, somewhere down the road, then make a special container for the pieces that you cut from other quilts as you go - - these pieces would become the leaders and enders between blocks on other projects ...
I may be telling you something you have already considered, but if you need more information about these ideas, just ask away ....

most of my ideas come from:
http://www.quiltville.com

<wave>