Old 01-23-2011, 08:33 AM
kwendt

Originally Posted by Rose L
Okay kwendt, I know I'm a nut, lol. I found this site that has all the info you are looking for (and so was I). From this page you can access a lot of the machine feet, repair parts, and instruction manual for the 15-91 (and many others). As soon as I opened this site...Bam! There was my grandmothers machine! I can not tell you how many machines I have looked at that are marked as 15-91's on Ebay that are apparently NOT! No wonder it has been such a confusing chase. Okay so here is the link:
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Singer-1...-15-88_c27.htm

Have fun, sorry for adding to the confusion!
Hi Rose, we're all learning as we go. Singer's site lists ALL the various different models in the 15 series... as plain ol 15s. It's up to us to figure out which is which. Singer put various finishes on all their machines... so finish doesn't necessarily identify a particular model all the time. The Godzilla or wrinkle or crinkle (whatever you choose to call it) finish was put on a bunch of different models, and Singer was not the only one (or even the first manuf.. ) to use it. Plain model 15's were treadles. 15-91's were all electricfied AND I believe was the only 15 to have a true reverse feed. The 15-91 was also the only 15 that you could drop/inactivate the feed mechanism - a great thing for quilters. It's gear driven and NOT belt driven. The only other 15 that was like this is a 15-125, which is from the 50's and it's green (I've never seen one).

(Billy, Charlee... correct me if I'm wrong!).

Also, if your 15-91 has a shot motor, the overall frame of the machine is no different from the treadle version. So, you can take off the motor and the light, and convert it to treadle operation. Billy (lostin51) can tell you how. There might be an adjustment or plate needed, I don't know. But it is possible.

I'm curious about this particular machines look and comp, cause it's a combination of finish, model and blackside that I haven't heard of before. It could have only been done for that one machine run, for all I know. The unusual sparks my interest.

The other versions/models of 15's... came with various belt drive electrics and/or treadles and yes... boy, do they look the same to me too! But the 15-91 is the only one 15 with drop dogs and backtack I think.

Sounds like your mom's machine is awesome. Maybe consider treadleing it? You likely have to change out the cabinet to one with treadle irons. Hum... But Billy probably has the parts to electrify it. I believe I remember a previous post where one of our more experienced (OMG old machine guy) said that between the 15-91 and the 201... he'd rather have the 201 as the treadle. But it seem to be a personal preference, both models work great either way.

If, by some miracle, I DO get this odd machine... I will prob. fix the electric on it and whatever else it needs... and find matching blackside attachments for it. Just to get it back to the 'original' WWII condition as much as possible - while still being able to use it.

Post photo's of your machine from your mother! We'd love to see it. I'd love to see just how closely it matches the one I just looked at. And perhaps some of the really really knowledgable folks on this thread can give you some great advice.

Whatever you decide... def. it's a machine worth saving! Good luck.