View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Decoratenu

Originally Posted by Charlee
Rid-X is NOT necessary if you have a septic system. All it is is a form of yeast that naturally forms anyway. Experts will tell you that you really don't need it. What you want to avoid is bleach and other anti-bacterial products, which will kill the bacteria necessary for the breakdown of solids in the septic tank. Adding something like Rid-X after using bleach isn't going to help, because the bleach will kill the bacteria in Rid-X too.

Cotton is not going to hurt your septic, because it is biodegradable. It's going to rot away. The problem would be that until it does, if you do many rag quilts, you could at least temporarily clog your leach field and cause problems. I would think the problem would be if you're not using a 100% natural batting. Polyester fibers are not going to degrade, they WILL cause problems.

All in all, the laundromat is not a bad idea...
I'll remember this! My mother loved to use bleach & they had problems with their septic tank all the time! Wish their plumber had mentioned that anti-bacterial products & bleach prevented the septic tank from working properly. Guess he was just looking out for HIS own interests!
Thankfully I don't have a septic system & clean my HE washer filter quarterly & dryer filter everytime I use it.
If I could get to the hose (it's behind the washer/dryer w/ cabinets around it), I definitely think the nylon stocking over the end of the hose would certainly prevent clogging your system.