Old 01-23-2011, 12:10 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Glenn
Nancy, My grandmother taught me to quilt, knit, embroidery and crochet when I was in grade school. I lived with my grandparents for several years. I hated learning because I want to play ball with my friends. She made do needle work about an hour a day. She said even guys have to know how to mend and sew buttons. I am glad she did now. I have made my wife formal dresses to go to military balls and things. I do not make clothes now but do quilt and the needle work as stated above. Just something I have always done. I have posted things I have done in the past. You can search them if you want to see. Glenn
Wow, a grandmother after my own heart! We have 5 grandsons that all know how to sew because when they stay here, and it is too cold to go outside, I give them projects to sew! They all think it is really fun to get to sew. They have made reverse applique' pillows, placemats, felt leaf shaped fabric bowls for Thanksgiving decorations, book covers, curtains for their tree house Grampa built, fabric/quilted bags to put their clothes in, and 3 of them made a lap sized quilt! I too think the boys should know their way around a sewing machine because now a days most girls don't know how to sew on a button! LOL! Besides, this is my way of keeping the kids out of Grampa's hair. Plus it is easier on me than always having to clean up horses, saddle up, and take all of them riding everyday! I get a break!

Glenn, I am really impressed! Making formals for your wife! Wow, I guess I shouldn't be so impressed, though, as most of the best tailors were men!
Nancy