Old 01-23-2011, 02:07 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by tomilu
Found a couple of treadles at an antique place out of town. One is a Wheeler and Wilson #9 in great shape and the other is a very early Davis with fancy irons. Can't make up my mind which I want, no room for both.
Well, I don't know what machines you own or your reason for collecting. Do you sew with your machines? Do you own Singer treadle? If you don't want another treadle because of lack of room, then the Wheeler and Wilson can fit into another Singer cabinet (At least mine does). The Davis is a different story. Seems Davis machines only fit into Davis cabinets and some older Davis only fit into older Davis cabinets. The Davis Vertical Feeds are that way from what I have read. But then one can always do what Billy has done, and make a special top that has a generic cut out to hold machines that have a special form fitting frame ( I really like this method, a project for me in the future). Then you can rotate the machines. If you can't do this project may be there is some Eagle Scout or Boy Scout that can help you. If the Davis is a Vertical Feed, I would go with that just because it is a machine the operates differently from others. I'm fascinated by machines that operate differently. To me they are a piece of mechanical art. Which is why I went after the National Two Spools and the Davis New Vertical Feed machines, I wanted a part of mechanical art history to own and play with.