Old 01-23-2011, 03:03 PM
sew wishful

[quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by tomilu

Ok you guys, I cleaned up my Davis some more yesterday with oil after reading that here. Guess what? Before I realized it, my Betty did not say DA anymore. The DA was the only part of Davis left on the front! The back says VIS the DA is missing -- it must be where the orginal owner always grabbed the machine! It was funny - front DA, back VIS! Now no DA, but on a good note Betty is very shinning so I don't know if I am happy or sick! Look at page 474, there was a DA, now nothing! Geeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I am sick!!!!!!!

Nancy
Well, I joined the Yahoo Davis group and read all the posts last night.
I asked my question about how to handle the cleaning, and someone answered back. What I learned was that oil should not take the decals off, but what can is too much wiping. So, if the decals are exposed (no shellac protection) or the shellac has turned cloudy or damaged, then if you clean with a cotton ball you should only wipe over once with the cotton ball because the cotton ball will pick up dirt and/or shellac and that dirt on the cotton ball will now act as an abrasive and scratch the decals if you were to wipe over the decals again. Which means you could wipe off the decals. I believe it is best just to clean around the decals with a Q-tip.
Do you have a link to the Davis Yahoo group? I'd like to look it over. (Not sure I can spend the time on another forum, but would like to see about it anyway!) Thanks.