Old 01-24-2011, 10:03 AM
harryb1834

Looking great!!!

Thimble it pads may help the hole in your finger nail.

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Last night I finally finished marking a lap quilt I pieced like 3-4 years ago but never finished (it's actually quite a pathetic job of piecing!), and was able to use my new lap hoop that I got last week. I was used to sitting at the window alone with my quilts in a huge frame, so I just thought it was so cool to sit on the couch and quilt. This is a quilt I pieced and started hand quilting, switched to machine quilting, and now I'm back to hand quilting. Haven't hand-quilted for probably 2 years, so I was anxious to see how it went. Figure since it was such a hodge-podge, it'd be my 'test'. It's a quilt for me, anyway, so it's no biggie to me.

I also just bought an "Aunt Becky's" gadget, which I tried and tried to use but there was NO way I could make the thing work (ended up bending a needle big time trying to use the thing). I also attempted to use about 4 different thimbles, but when I finally just quit trying and used my nails, things seem to have gone much easier. One thing I did discover was that I never realized how much I depend on my feeling the needle rather than just pushing. I was watching the game last night, and found that I didn't have a problem glancing away from my work & continuing to quilt if I was working on a straight line. Is using my nails a very bad habit, one I should really try to 'un-train' myself from?? I am a self-taught quilter, and have no idea how I picked up this habit in the first place.

Another question is the position of the quilt while making curves. I am in awe at the projects of several of the handquilters work on this board, and the feathers are amazing. My very simple flower was time-consuming, and I wonder about the technique people use when they're doing a lot of curves. Do you totally re-position your work, or use a different technique with the needle? I found I'm very efficient quilting with my thumb nail.

Yet another question. For those who quilt on their lap, how do you prevent all the markings from wiping off? I thought maybe just folding the quilt with the marks on the inside?

So, I attached a picture of my project for your viewing pleasure. Can you tell if my stitches are small enough, and is there supposed to be that much space between stitches? I used a 100% cotton batting, just an FYI.

Well, I guess that's all I have right now. Sorry to ramble, but I really am excited to be hand quilting again, and I am SO loving this new frame.

Hope you are all having a wonderful Monday!

Trina :)