Old 01-24-2011, 02:22 PM
montanajan

I have a Babylock Quilter's Choice - won it - grand opening prize at local quilt shop - & I really like the automatic needle threader, thread cutter, etc. It is a very nice machine. However, I used a heavy, old Kenmore for 24 years & was perfectly happy with it too. Had I not won this one, I'd have used the Kenmore until I die.
My 2 cents worth------
Evaluate what you need in a machine & then decide. Are the fancy stitches necessary? Are the 3 alphabets essential? I used more decorative stitches when I was sewing for a daughter & 3 sons than I do now. If you go far over your budget, will the extras be worth the expense? If most of your work is on quilts, a quality basic machine with fewer bells & whistles may suit you. See what they can offer within your budget - may even check around for better deals & after comparison shopping, even on line, ask them to come down on the price if you buy from them. I bought my Kenmore sewing machine from a Sears store in another community from where I live - got a better deal & it was sent up 200 miles on the bus as cargo at their expense because they wanted my business more than the local Sears did. I also bought a vacuum that way - ordered it by phone after looking locally & got same thing for less from a Sears in another town.
Good luck with whatever you choose - be sure to let us know what you decide.