View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 03:56 PM
pattis47

As I was told by my grandmother, a quilt has 3 layers; top, batting, and back. Nowhere have I ever read that a quilt could not use a panel. It was made with a grandmothers love. That is the thing to remember. Proudly give it to him and watch his eyes shine and that big broad smile grow on his face. And if you feel it necessary, maybe you should print the definition of the word quilt from Dictionary.com = –noun
1. a coverlet for a bed, made of two layers of fabric with some soft substance, as wool or down, between them and stitched in patterns or tufted through all thicknesses in order to prevent the filling from shifting.
2. anything quilted or resembling a quilt.
3. a bedspread or counterpane, esp. a thick one.
–verb (used with object)
5. to stitch together (two pieces of cloth and a soft interlining), usually in an ornamental pattern.

Originally Posted by cherrio
I am almost done with a new quilt for my grandson. It is a panel of "Tomater" from the movie "CARS" with quilt blocks and borders with a panel of the world on the back with quilt blocks too. His mother asked me on the ph yesterday why I didn't make him a "real" quilt? I was taken back a bit but didn't say so. I worked harder keeping the panel from getting wonky than I did on his other "real" quilts! Kinda hoping he likes it just cause his tomater is on it. do any of you feel it is crappy to use a panel? I used the world on the back so when he is older, or now, he can look at the map and know his dad Army-deployed, is There.