View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 09:17 PM
sewbeeit42

If anyone would like to provide me with some information, feel free to email your responses or private message me or answer me in this board.

1. What is your name and where are you from? Carolyn from California

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt? First class was through our local recreation center about 18 years ago. I had hoped to take more classes, but there were not enough attendees so they were cancelled.

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc) I like seeing the projects come together and then completing them . There is something wonderful about the shared experiences of getting together with other quilters and discussing our craft/art.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? I have taught others paper piecing and English paper piecing within my small group of quilting friends.

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? When I first started there didn’t seem to be such a rush to make lots of quilts in a short period of time. I feel that some folks feel compelled to make lots of quilts instead of enjoying the process at a slower pace. I do like that machine quilted pieces are now acceptable as part of the process, however.

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? I belong to a small group of 14 women who get together weekly to quilt, sometimes knit and share our lives.

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? To the best of my knowledge none of my ancestors were quilters, but I am sure they must have been out of necessity. I liked the idea of making something from scraps that would have been wasted, but found use…true recycling.

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it? Satisfaction in knowing I made something worthwhile and sometimes lovely to see.

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style? I have done pieced, paper pieced, English paper pieced, cathedral window style, appliqué, whole cloth and strip. I enjoy quilt as you go methods.

10. Who do you make quilts for? For anyone who would like one including my grandson, husband, dog, relatives and friends.

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? I usually get out the seam ripper and have at it. Sometimes if the mistake is an error of color, patterns or like, it gets donated to charity including dog shelters.

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? The pattern as it relates to the colors.

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? To me a blanket is one layer while a quilt must include batting of some type. They are also much warmer than crocheted afghans.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why? With the tools that are available today quilting is process that can be enjoyed on many levels from rank beginners to master crafts people. Instead of them being just utilitarian bed coverings they can become works of art to be put on the wall, tables, or worn on the body.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history? Only that it is a tradition with a long history that, unfortunately, was not given much importance in its documentation. However, since it has been done mostly by women for many years, it gives a sense of connection with these past generations.

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting? Yes, everyone should take in at least one modern major quilt show to see the variety of the art/craft today.

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? Both

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? Not part of my family’s tradition.

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share. Over 50 years ago I saw three generations of country folk women (a grandmother, mother and daughter) making a sunbonnet sue quilt by hand using flower sacks. The vision of them working together on this project has stayed with me ever since and I decided then that I had to make one like it some day.

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? Some of the quilts where I have spent the most time and effort were at some point put down for our dog to sleep upon. I was not upset as I make them to be of use not tucked away like a treasure. I make one for my grand niece which I hoped she would carry about, use on the floor to watch TV etc., but her mother thought it was too nice so made it into a wall piece for her. I wanted the quilt to be loved and to me this meant used. It was odd in that I had made one for her mother when she was a baby and she wore it out carrying it all about.

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in an informal class project? yes

That's all. Thank you all so much!

Jenny.