View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 10:29 AM
azam

1. Anne from Bakersfield, California

2. Took my first class in 1997 from a lady that started a group at my church, but didn't get seriously into it until 2001. that's when I took a log cabin class at a quilt shop.

3. Relaxation, creativity, family, friends and for a children's hospice.

4. Yes, My good friend Janice. My grand-daughters Maya now 8 yrs. old but began teaching her to sew at age 5 and Marissa who is 6 yrs. old, her first class was last Saturday. Also, taught a class of 12 ladies and two children at my church which began in January of 2008. I taught one Saturday each month with our last class ending in September. The finished quilts were sent to a children's hopsice in Orange County, CA.

5. Not really, about the only thing I can think of is that I'm more efficient, less wasteful and more creative. I like to design my own patterns.

6. I've been to two guild meetings but have never joined. I get together with my sister, grandkids and my friend Janice occasionally when I'm not teaching.

7. Actually, it is part of my heritage. My Mom was a quilter. I loved seeing her unique quilts. She was self taught and was very creative. I wish I would have paid more attention when she was quilting but I wasn't interested in quilting as a teenager. I was more interested in making clothing.

8. I love to quilt. If only my Mom could see me now, she'd be so proud. I love the fact that I'm doing something that she loved to do and I'm now passing it down to my grand-children. It's very relaxing and the finished products not only warm bodies but also warm the hearts of those who receive them.

9. I've made many different patterns. The easiest is probably the Court House Steps log cabin. The most difficult was the Tree of Life, a lot of 1 inch squares, which Janice and I made together for our Pastors wife. I love the challenge of making something that looks like it's beyond my expertise, so there isn't one design I like over another.

10. See answer # 3

11. I'm a perfectionist (they call me anal), I rip it out and do it right!

12. The finished product and the overall beauty of it.

13. A lot of work goes into the making of a quilt. From the selection of fabric, cutting of fabric, piecing, layering, quilting and binding. It's truly a labor of love.

14. No, it hasn't lost value. No matter how you look at it there is still a lot of time invested in the making of a quilt whether it's hand pieced or machine pieced.

15. I know very little about it's history but if it weren't for the early quilters working out the quirks we wouldn't be where we are today with the new tools and easier ways of getting the job done. (rotary cutter, matts, etc.)

16. Everyone should give it a try. Take a class or two or check your PBS station for a quilting show. There are also online classes for those do-it-yourselfers.

17. Mostly alone when I'm trying to get a special one done. See # 6 above.

18. See # 7 above.

19. My Beloved Mom, she's been with the Lord since 1984. I still have a few that she made and I cherish them.

20. Oh yes, I'm so proud of my grand-daughter Maya. On completion of her very first quilt she donated it to the children's hospice and attached a heartfelt note for the recipient. At 8 years of age she's learning to put others before herself. She also made another quilt and donated it to the local cancer society, it was auctioned off for $125.00 at their fund raiser last month. Talk about a proud grandma!!! By the way, yesterday, she machine quilted (longarm) one that she'll be keeping for herself.

21. Sure, why not. Let us know what you get as a grade :)