Old 01-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Zoe

I have read Jo Morton's letters, and I can understand the "burn-out" she is experiencing. From my own experiences, it does seem as if the same people do most of the work. Then there are those who glibly write "get involved and make changes if you do not like something in the guild". But this advice is off the mark to those who have done the work and have tried to change attitudes.

I also do not like the pressure put on members to participate in the guild's chosen charity. When someone suggested creating quilts for other worthy causes, this idea was never brought up for a vote. One guild sews blankets for the neo-natal nursery of our hospital, and gets many blankets sewn by its members. One year the hospital nursery had a flood situation where the blankets were wet and damp. The guild president that year took it upon herself to throw away the blankets--all that work in the trash! It perhaps never occurred to her to ask the guild membership for ideas, one of which was that they could have laundered all these blankets, donating them to the local Center for abused women and children.

Years ago while living in Northern Virginia, I tentatively approached the membership table at a local guild's meeting. I said that I would be interested in joining. I was asked by one of the ladies there if I were a beginner because they did not want beginners! I said to this officious woman isn't that what guilds are about--encouraging new quilters to learn and to benefit from the guild's experience? It so happens that I was not a beginner, but I did not like that attitude. I did not join that guild, but was invited by a neighboring guild who went out of their way to make me feel welcome.

If you belong to a good guild, be thankful, and actively participate in that group. If you find a guild that has a "meaness of spirit" toward new quilters, to talented quilters, or to new ideas, I would suggest you give it a pass.