Old 01-25-2011, 02:33 PM
kwendt

Originally Posted by amma
Is there a reason that the cabinet has to go too? If just the machine needs work done on it? :D:D:D
Well... if I buy it... it 'has to go' to MY house! lol. I would take the machine head into be re-wired anyways...

Update: I went and looked at the machine... it's a plain Jane, in a plain Jane cabinet. circa 1952 vintage 201-2. It has the modern face plate/back plate, a few rust spots on the bobbin cover plate, and bobbin case, the plain (no measurement) needle plate and a cabinet that the varnish is flaking off. On the plus side, there are few scratches even though this woman used it 'all the time'. The drawers have the original bill of sale, the manual (very beat up), A Greist buttonholer with all the cams and the dog cover plate, and all the attachments for the machine. The tensioner on the front, when you turn it, does a 'dance'... as if the shaft it's on is bent. I don't know if that's normal or not. The screw and the spring are intact. Wiring looks to be 'fine' but I didn't take the motor houseing cover off, I'm going to replace it anyways. The original Bakalite footpedal is there, with the knee lift installed.

The guy is advertising it for 199.00, said a lady offered him $75 for the machine head by itself. Asked me if $150 was out of my price range. (yeah, it is.). I'm thinking about it, but I may wait until I find the 'right one'.

Still it's in really good shape, other than the cabinet and the rust spots on the bobbin case/cover.

I dunno... on the fence....