View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 05:18 PM
DogHouseMom

Boy I struggled with this one! Not because the design was difficult (well, it wasn't easy), but because I decided to change the design ... AFTER it was done.

The original pattern (by Ruth Blanchett by virtue of QuiltUniversity.com) had a "wave" repeat at the bottom all the way across, and was cut blunt across the bottom (see original pattern in blue - pic 'stolen' from the QuiltUniversity.com web site!). Even when I was making it, the bottom of the pattern "bothered" me. Because we were working with pre-made strips, the bottom "wave" wasn't blunt at the bottom while we were working it, it continued off the bottom as a curve. We were meant to cut it off. But I liked it.

So I folded the bottom under and laid it on top of this and that border fabric to audition. I played with it for days, folding this part away then that part, auditioning it with different border colors, etc. Then I just left it on my table to 'stew' a while while I figured out what was in my brain trying to get out.

Finally, I saw what I wanted to see, so I ripped and ripped and ripped. Then I added new strips in a single color to continue that bottom curve into a "border" of sorts. As a result if you look closely the bottom strips are wanky but they're all the same fabric so from a distance ... well who cares.

I *might* make it again but this time do the bottom right the first time :)

My husband said it looks like an eye with one raised eye-brow.

I call it "Vision".

Original pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]167998[/ATTACH]

My revised version
[ATTACH=CONFIG]167999[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-167993.jpe   attachment-167994.jpe