Old 01-25-2011, 07:48 PM
dunster
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwendt
I so relate...

I just unearthed my Singer 66-16 and opened up the cabinet, got it set up to run. Still need to oil it first. I had had it serviced about 9 years ago, haven't sewed on it since. They redid all the electric.

Here's the kicker. I don't understand it. My S/N is AC746635, right in the middle of a run of 1929 66's it says according to the Singer website. BUT... there's no up/down lever with markings for the backtack/stitch length. Instead there's a big honking screw to adjust. Then I noticed that the bobbin winder affair is a big complicated mesh of gears that rides up by the wheel, and not down further as is on the 66-16. I thought, what??? That's not a 66-16, no matter what the manual says.

So I looked on sandman's site to identify. It looks like the 3/4 99-13... EXCEPT... it's got the 66-16 face plate (both flat and rounded, swirlies). Both machines (and mine) have the foot attachment screw on the side. And the D needle plate. I measured from the edge of the needle, along the bed, to the most inward edge of the column - it's 8" exactly - so is it a full size, or a 3/4?. Looks like a pristine Filligree pattern. See the pictures...

What the heck have I got here???? And what's the screw post thing at the top of the arm over the take up bar/needle? Thanks for the help!
There were other 66's before the 66-16 (and after it as well). Yours might be the 66-6.

NeedleBar lists some of the differences here: http://www.needlebar.org/cm~nb/displayimage.php?album=51&pos=0