Old 01-25-2011, 08:04 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by kwendt
I so relate...

I just unearthed my Singer 66-16 (according to it's manual) and opened up the cabinet, got it set up to run. Still need to oil it first. I had had it serviced about 9 years ago, haven't sewed on it since. They redid all the electric.

Here's the kicker. I don't understand it. My S/N is AC746635, right in the middle of a run of 1929 66's it says according to the Singer website. Note in the last picture... that the last 2 digits of the SN are strange - they are not cut into the brass as deeply - very noticable. Why would that be. Almost looks like the last two digits were stamped into the brass by hand.

So the manual and the S/N both say, 66 BUT... there's no up/down lever with markings for the backtack/stitch length. Instead there's a big honking screw to adjust. Then I noticed that the bobbin winder affair is a big complicated mesh of gears that rides up by the wheel, and not down further as is on the 66-16. I thought, what??? That's not a 66-16, no matter what the manual says.

So I looked on sandman's site to identify. It looks like the 3/4 99-13... EXCEPT... it's got the 66-16 face plate (both flat and rounded, swirlies). Both machines (and mine) have the foot attachment screw on the side. And the D needle plate. I measured from the edge of the needle, along the bed, to the most inward edge of the column - it's 8" exactly, Full bed size is 14.5" x 7"deep (not including the black plate that fills in where (I guess) a treadle belt could be used... So that tends to be a full size bed - I think. Looks like a pristine Filligree pattern. See the pictures...

What the heck have I got here???? Some sort of weird hybrid? Thanks for the help!
I got one of them. Mine is a Singer 66-2, looks like yours. SN AA420007 which makes it a 1925. Hope that helps ya!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-168162.png   attachment-168163.png