Old 01-25-2011, 08:15 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

TR 3 is a good cleaner/polisher, but to me it takes forever. I have used it on more modern machines (from the 40s and 50s) with great results. Harry Berzack's curator uses a spray foam on all of the machines. I can't remember the name right off hand, but it makes most of us gasp. He says he has no trouble with it, though!!
Carter Bays doesn't clean his at all. His machines are complete with original spider webs. They aren't used, so I guess that makes sense. Whatever works.
Well Miz Johnny I understand why you say the TR3 seems to take forever! I have been working on my Redeye on and off all afternoon with the TR 3 Resin Glaze. I have really started to get a nice glow on the bed of that machine, but yes it is very time consumming. I am being very careful to go around my decals too as they are still in very good shape.

I have decided to put a light coat of the TR3 on all my machines just to protect the decals from futher damage. I am afraid that if I clean the machines with anything else, the decals will eventually get corroded.

Monica, you have been pretty quiet, but don't you think if we use sewing machine oil - and don't get all of it off - that eventually the oil will eat through the decals? I would think anything, even Liquid Gold sitting on the decals would eventually eat through? I really like the way the machines look when they are cleaned with sewing machine oil, but the oil attracts cat hair and makes the machines messy to use.

Cleaning with the TR3 is a lot of work, but once the cleaner wax coat is on the machine it is much easier to keep the machine clean. The machines don't attract dirt, hair, etc.

My thoughts -- any others have an opinion? Since I ruined the decals on my Davis, I am very leary of anything. Maybe, Carter Bays has the best idea!

Nancy
Nancy, If you are being careful by working around the decals while using the TR3, then you are only protecting the non-decal part of the machine, japan. How do you plan to protect the decals? I think Carter Bays does have a good idea, but then some pollutants can eat away at the decals too. Don't know what is in that dirt sitting on the machines.

I'm still researching, and thinking.