Thread: STENCIL MAKING
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 06:58 AM
dgmoby

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
Don't laugh, but I am seriously thinking of trying to make a right angle type holder for a pointer that will stick out past my sewing machine arm so I can use it to invisibly "trace" a pattern that I will tape to the rolled up portion of the quilt.

Did any of that make sense?? I can see it in my mind but would have a heck of a time explain it to my husband.
Yes it does, and you certainly can! I love making things of my own. I make many, many things for my longarm, and have made so many that a couple have spread across the web like wildfire!

I'd consider trying this for an overview of what you're thinking to see how it would work: You can take a yard stick, tape it on top of your machine, and then see how you'd position a laser on it. Tape it? Drill a hole just big enough to hold the laser, padded with tape/fabric if necessary? What if you have to attach it to the back of your machine? (I'd sure make it temporary/removable!) Maybe attach it to one of the tall cone holders? One thing I would think about in advance is the size of the pattern you'll be wanting to trace...6" or 12" or 16"? This means whatever holds your laser must stick out at least this far...just something to consider. You can do this!

Go for it! Just a little time invested, and very little money if you have stuff around the house. I've done this on my longarm, to use a pattern from the front with a laser. It works just fine!

Let us know how it goes!
Debbie in Austin