View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 12:34 PM
pumpkinpatchquilter

Thank you! That is still one of my favorite ever quilts even though it was a complete learning process. Yes, I did a little unpicking, but I figured out a few tricks that really help along the way. I also over estimate each fabric piece size. When you get really comfortable with paper piecing you can start cutting strips and pieces down closer to the actual size of what you need, but in the beginning, it's better in my opinion to waste a little bit because the pay off is so worth it in the end. If I could do this project over again it would be a zillion times neater and nicer, but I am glad I just dove in there because I learned A LOT in a short amount of time.

Oh - also, do you trim each piece as you go? You might be a little afraid to do it now, but the more I paper pieced I have found that trimming down to that quarter of an inch, while scary, helps you line up and prepare your next piece of fabric. It also helps you waste a little less. You can get a 2 inch wide ruler at just about any sewing store and it can be really helpful. Just don't trim your fingers...something I have also done. Lol***