Thread: Photo quilting
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 07:21 PM
patricej
Administrator

I'd also heard laser print was permanent on fabric. I ran a sheet of untreated muslin, ironed to freezer paper, through my color laser. The toner rubbed off onto my hands; the rest washed right out in plain water. I haven't yet tried pretreating the fabric. Bubble Jet Set isn't recommended for laser printing, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it does work. Another product I plan to try is Retayne.

For now, though, I'm sticking to BJS and my inkjet printer. I used Retayne once on both 100% cotton and a poly-cotton blend. I was surprised to find that using it full-strength provided the least success. I had to fiddle several times with the ratio of water-to-Retayne to find the one that worked best for each type of fabric. Naturally, I forgot to write anything down, so I'll have to get another bottle and start over. It'll be worth it, though. The most successful test prints barely faded at all in the first wash and have remained colorfast through several subsequent trips to the washing machine.