View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Central Ohio Quilter

In the summer we hang our wash outside on the line to dry. In the winter, we hang our laundry over folding/collapsible racks in our family room where the woodstove is. The drying clothes add needed humidity to the house air during the winter. I do have an old electric dryer, but about the only thing it gets used for is to dry fabric to preshrink it.

We heat our house with wood and DH cuts and splits all our wood.

I have a vegetable garden in the summer and I can or freeze most of our vegies that we eat throughout the year.

I cut DH's hair. I get mine cut at the cheapest place in town. I've never colored my hair.

I darn socks and sew underwear waistbands back on when they come loose. They will last for another couple months. I have also replaced torn zippers on jackets.

At the grocery store I pay close attention to sales and purchase in bulk when things are at their cheapest. I use coupons. I buy bread and rolls off the day old bakery rack and just about the only meat I buy is marked down 40% off because it is ready to expire in a day or two. It will still stay just fine for several days, or I will put it into the freezer for longer periods.

I don't buy convenience foods. I cook from scratch.

We seldom go out to eat, maybe once a month. I pack each of us our lunches every day to take to work.

We never buy anything from the vending machines...... Why pay $1.25 for a bottle of Coke from the vending machine when you can get a 12 pack for $3.00 at the grocery?

We don't buy water. (I just don't get that one!) We get it free from our faucets! Fill a reusable bottle!

We do use credit cards for convenience, but pay off the entire balance every month. We have never paid a cent of interest on a credit card.

I shop at garage sales, yard sales, thrift shops, consignment shops for just about all our clothes, home furnishings, etc.

We don't go the the movies, or even rent movies from where ever it is you rent movies from. We borrow them free from the library, or wait until they are on TV. I read a lot, but my books come from the library or yard sales for 25 cents.

Oh yes- my favorite - instead of buying expensive wedding or baby presents - I make quilts!!!!!