View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 03:59 AM
olebat

Most of the time I track. Quite a few years ago (late 60's, before credit cards and free phone calls) a mail order package from J.C.P. was left at the home of a neighbor, who was on vacation. I really fretted over my package. I was going to a conference and wanted wrinkle free clothes for traveling. (This was also a time when hotel rooms didn't include irons & boards in the rooms - you had to pay to have clothes pressed.) After learning from the shipper that the package had been delivered we started manual tracking. It was a frustrating and fruitless process. By the time the neighbor got home the package had gotten rain soaked and my dresses damaged. I was at the conference with wrinkled clothes. Roadway Express wouldn't accept blame. I was young and not really in touch with the world, or legal matters. I didn't want to pay for goods not received. Fortunately, Pennies Mail Order was able to keep my emotions somewhat under control. They got their damaged goods back and I got my money back. Unfortunately, I still had to pay the phone bill.

A more recent experience, about 12 years ago, a student travel organization wanted me to attend a meeting/training. They said they would send me plane tickets. When they didn't come, I just figured the company was disorganized, I had gotten that impression from the way they worked over the phone anyway. After the conference, they asked me why I was a no show. We discussed the tickets which they insisted had been sent, and I insisted I never got. Months later we found the tickets under the trees where the wind apparently had carried them. I had expected the tickets to come in the mail, but the exchange program had sent them DHL. UPS and Fed-Ex drivers know where to leave my packages, DHL isn't a regular.

So, yes, I track, but now it's easy and inexpensive. I also have a sign on my door indicating where a carrier should make deliveries.