View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 05:08 AM
patricej
Administrator

i have a bad habit of leaving the water in my iron. naturally, the time came when it was all clogged and in desperate need of cleaning. so i employed the time honored method of filling it with vinegar and water. not an instant fix, but the gunk eventually cleared away.

then, someone recently recommended vinegar in the water as a way to get those stubborn creases out of fabric off the bolt. (which means it's also great for pressing of all kinds.)

i have also noted that a lot of quilters seem to worry about attracting bugs if they starch their fabs before storage. which reminded me that when i was in the Army and sometimes had to spend days or weeks "camping" in the local swamp, i'd swallow two tablespoons of ... you guessed it ... vinegar every morning. the result no chigger bites, and very little bother from the mosquitos.

sooooo ... since vinegar water will clean and iron, make pressing more precise, and repel nasty chiggers and skeeters ... i have started automatically filling my iron with a 50/50 solution of vinegar water. my iron stays clean, pressing is easier, and i'll bet it wouldn't attract bugs in storage. (can't test that one. my son stays on bug patrol around here, so we don't have any.)

smells a bit on the awful side at the ironing board, but it disappears by the time i get back to the sewing table. just thought i'd share.