Old 01-29-2011, 09:12 AM
MTS
Banned

I think this is a fabulous idea.

A-Why do you want to distort the blocks? Are you trying to manipulate the shape of the snake?

B- I noticed on some of the curves you didn't shade in the whole triangle...is that because, again, you're looking to control the shape of the snake?

As for B, I would piece it that way. IOW, if I wanted a particular section of the snake to be narrower than the block patches allow, I would piece the patches in the two colors before joining them together into the block.

So if you take your 8x8 block layout, draw the snake however you want, and then in those pieces where it's either narrower (or wider!), you would use more than one fabric on those triangles.

Does that make any sense?

Another option would be to piece it within the shapes, but after you could applique on additional pieces, or deal with it via thread embroidery before or after quilting.

What were you planning to use for the majority of the blocks? Where they real kaleidoscopes, or were they pieced in some way?

Reminds me of quilt (Storm At Sea) where the designer, Sarah Vedeler. started with a patch drawing like you have, but then colored her design according to the patches, not the block. It was stunning. I think you need to be a member of TQS to see it but here's a link:
http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/quilt...lts_id/1002977