Old 01-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Just-Lee

Sorry for shouting, but about to cry :( I have made several of this type of rag quilt before, but always with square blocks. This quilt is for my husband and it is a colonial flag, with 4.5"x 74" strips, and it is a total nightmare! The top is moving forward and the bottom is easing with the feed dogs. It is so bad, that the flannel bottom is ending up 2' longer after sewing. I have tried flipping the cotton to the feed dog side, tried a walking foot, foot pressure is down to 1, and nothing seems to help. I don't have any puckers, but it looks as though I have intentionally inserted gatherings the entire length. I have noticed that the red mottled flannel is not as bad as the tan mottled, despite both having the same manufacturer from Joann's fabrics.

If anyone has any other idea I can try, I would appreciate it. I definitely do not want to rip them all out, if possible. I have considered dewing the remaining pieces and the just cut off/ square up the entire quilt before I stitch around the outside edge. What do you all think?? The original size was going to be 60"x74"...but who knows where it will end up now. I do know that I will never ever use flannel for strip piecing again!! lol