Old 01-30-2011, 09:05 AM
fireworkslover

There's been lots of talk about what paper to use but not so much about the fabric. Here's my "two bits": I cut a strip of fabric for each section and depending on the size of it then add on seam allowance. For example: if the widest portion of the section is 2" wide(measure from the left edge where section 1 & 2 butt together over to the right edge), then I'll add on 5/8" for seam allowances (1/4" s.a. X 2 + 1/8" to get stuck in the folded over seam allowance). So cut a strip 2 5/8" wide. What I like about this method is you don't cut off the strip until after you've pressed your seam allowance over to one side. Then when you do the next section, when you fold back the paper on the seam line, place your ruler on the pattern, THEN you cut for the next piece = giving your new placement edge (including s.a.) to work with and trim the previous strip off at the same time.
So many people seem to struggle with cutting a piece of fabric and it's too small - which they discover after they've sewn it on.

Take your next strip, line up the cut edges with the previous edge (always rt. sides together), pin if necessary, sew on the line, press s.a., trim, con't.

I've never had fabric that was too small to cover the section. I also label each strip with the section # with a small piece of paper either pinned on or clipped w/ a paper clip. Then your strips can be together in a pile but still be labeled so you can fairly easily pick out the one you need next.

If you are using a print with stripes, you need to be aware that the stripe will be parallel with the left edge of the section. If you don't want that, you might have to fussy cut a strip in order to have the stripes running the proper way in your section. This happens when doing triangular pieces like in a New York Beauty pattern. Ask me, I know since I've had to do this.