View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 10:04 AM
Karen K

[quote=Karen K]
Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by Karen K
Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by Karen K
Thank you everyone for your kind comments.... you all need to try one at least once. They are so amazing!
I've been dreaming about octagons all weekend and reading that chapter of the book! Been calculating the different strip widths required for different size blocks (major brain ache but with DH's help I got there!) and drawn an indelible line on my 45 deg ruler to use as a template. I'm ready to rock and roll once I get the borders on my bargello WIP! :-D

Oh, I'm so excited for you.... get that WIP done (totally get that ... it is why I can't start my next one either!) Just FYI, I use a Kaleido-Ruler by Marti Miller for mine ... takes all the guess work out of the strips, corners, etc. All there on the ruler for you! Pretty awesome. Also "pre-trims" the point off the centers of the octagons! Just in case you want another ruler!!
This is the one I've got! But I was confused because it says strips cut at 4" yields a 7" block and the book says 6.5"? My leaf fabric is stacked and pinned and I'm ready to cut! :-D[/quot

Oops ... i Mean ...Oh, perfect .... cut the 4" if you want the 7" ...... the Kaleido-Ruler takes off the end of the triangle so there isn't the bulk in the center of the block! Plus, you save .5" for each strip!!! Kinda nice.