View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 01:57 PM
olebat

Apparently we're teasing taste buds here. Thanks for asking for this one, I turned recipe cards I hadn't seen in YEARS! Oh, my, and the way it is written. This came from the Camp side of the family, so was probably baked in Granny's old wood stove.

Apple-Raisins Oatmeal Cake

Peal and chop-up about 5 cups of sweet apples, and mix in a pan with 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, stirring to keep sugar from scorching. Cook until apples are just beginning to soften. About five minutes, then set aside.

In roomy mixing bowl, sift together 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of allspice.

Add 1 cup of oatmeal, 1/2 cup of seedless raisins, and 1/2 cup of chopped nuts to bowl and combine well.

Reserve some of the cooled apple mixture for topping, and add rest to cake batter with 2 well beat eggs, 1/4 cup of melted shortening, and 1/2 cup of brown sugar and mix together until just moistened.

Pour into a shallow bake pan and bake in a medium oven about 30 to 40 minutes until done.

While cake bakes, add 1 cup heavy cream to remaining apple mixture and bring to a slow boil for a couple of minutes, stirring the whole while.

When cake is removed from the oven, pour apple and cream mixture over the cake.

*Serve warm or store in icebox.

Note* Although this is not written on the recipe card, there were two other additions the family sometime used.
1) the raisins were soaked in cream sherry until plump before being added to the cake mix
2) a hard rum-butter sauce was poured on before the creamed apple topping.