Old 01-31-2011, 04:19 PM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jankerr
I try to make a trial block, but it is hard to guess what the sizes are. Do you ever give the needed cutting instructions? I agree that the colors are very nice.
Thanks, Jan
I sort of do for the designs I design, But there are several variables. What size quilt block do you want to make. How many "Blocks" are in the quilt block. I design using a 6 blocks across by 6 blocks down grid. If your quilt block is not one I designed I would have to see it to tell what you would need. I also design for a 4 x 4 grid also. and I do have some that are an 8 x 8.

If you are wanting the size for the strips for cutting out HSTS then here is how to figure it:

Set your template on point. Measure from the center of the template to one point (right to left) then add at least 1/2" for 2 seam allowances.
So for a 2 1/2" template you will need strips that are 2 1/2" wide. But other sizes of templates will vary. The best way if you want to figure it is to measure.

I just lay the template on the fabric and see how wide I need to cut so it isn't too small and then I just cut it roughly the right size. But I am not too particular about saving every little bit of leftovers. I am more paranoid about it being too small and having to start over. So I go bigger to make sure I have enough.

Hope this helps. If you need help figuring what you need then send me the size template you are using and I will give you the size and numbers you need to cut.