Old 02-01-2011, 07:41 AM
kwendt

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
I have a question... I just purchased 4 singers recently and now I need to clean the wood and just wash the machines etc.... Some of them have a funky odor, probably from being in a basement. Anyone have a clue on what to use to wash them from head to toe with? Next will be working with each one to get it looking good but the bath is more important right now. I usually do a light bleach solution on things but kinda afraid to do that on these.. ????
I have a similar question on cleaning the wood cabinets, frames, boxes of the machines. What's best to use, what not. I think that some issues with the wood are more problematic than others.

A. Mold or mildew - needs something to kill it or it will keep on growing over time. Stuf stored in basements or attics for long times seem to get this. I agree... usually means using bleach. I'd be afraid to use bleach on varnished wood too. Don't know what I'd use in that situation. Any ideas, anyone?

B. Termites - Don't take it inside. Quickly remove the machine head and destroy the cabinet, remove it from your premises before the termites get into the wood of your house/furnishings.

C. Cigarertte/pipe smoke damage: Nicotine and tar are sticky substances that build up in the pores of wood. Usually need to clean with something that can penetrate the porous wood, and dissolve the tar. Regular cleaners just remove the grime and surface of it. Haven't found something that works yet... anyone know of something that would work - short of stripping it?