Old 02-01-2011, 09:03 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

On average, it takes me 2 to 3 years to quilt a bedsize quilt. However, I work in spurts. I will not touch it for anywhere from several days to several weeks. I can not HQ when it is really hot out. Can not bring myself to sit under the quilt and don't want to sweat all over it. I tried keeping track on my lone star quilt which I quilted 1/4" from every seam and in the big open spaces in the four corners and setting trianges I did a feather plume in the shape of a heart in the squares and just an arc in the triangles with 1" cross hatching in the background. I had well over 200 hours in it until I got to the outer border then forgot to mark my pad of paper with start and stop time. I figure the border quilting put it over 300 hours. That quilt was king size. The more intricate the quilting the longer it takes. My current HQ WIP some elements take a long time and other bits go quick. I started HQ a few months after I joined this board. So I am in year 2 of HQ it. I find it relaxing and enjoy having it to work on when watching TV at night. I don't dwell on how long it takes as it is a labor of love. I will admit though that the amount of time it takes me to HQ a quilt was one of several deciding factors in purchasing my LA. I have too many quilts inside of me that want to get out and made and I would never put a dent in my bucket list if I HQ all of them! I am glad I took the LA plunge because I love doing it and can't wait to get my next quilt on it. I will still HQ as well.