View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 09:23 AM
cabinfever

ncredbird:
I think the "redi-board" would generically be called "Foam-core" board. I haven't seen it cheaper anywhere else, thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't made the leap yet, but think I'd like to get my bolted fabric off the cardboard for space saving. Good qualities: lightweight, stiff enough, inexpensive, cut to "your shelf" size, can be cut with a razor knife & straight-edge ruler (I'd use a metal ruler-don't damage your good quilting rulers). I have gotten foam-core board (typically 1/4" thickness) @ school supply stores, or Walmart, but I think you got me beat for price!

QuilterChick:
The solid pegboard-type stuff @ Home Depot is called Masonite (a common brand name), & comes in sizes from 4'x8' down to 2' x 4'. You can also ask Home Depot to make a cut for you: first cut free (on most wood products), although they may not be willing, as this stuff really dulls the blades.

Suggestion for those using cardboard: What about buying a good roll of heavier saran-wrap (Cheaper @ Costco/Sam's Club) & covering the cardboard to prevent any worry of acid leaching? Or do we then have to worry if the Saran-wrap is acid? :) I have plenty of boxes!

Here is a source for your own acid-free PVC sheet material if you want to cut your own: Look up Komatex or Sintra. http://www.tri-dee.com/sintra_plastic_pvc.htm, 3mm is about an 1/8 inch thickness, what "Polar notions" & other boards are made of. The nice idea here is there are no corregated edges to cut your hands or fabric on, yet it is a lightweight solid.