View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 04:30 PM
MotherDuck

Originally Posted by kjym
I used to use the fabric bolts to store my stash and then I read that the carboard has something in it that fades your fabric on the edges if you keep the fabric on them to long.
So I started to panic and checking and I had a few that on the edge it looked like they had been bleached from top to bottom. So that's when I started switching over to the plastic folding boards. When you have almost a whole bolt of fabric and it has white stripes down the width of the whole thing it is a bit dishearting. And it wasn't fading from sunlight.
So now the majority is on the boards. I must admit that they are a bit expensive but they cost alot less than ruined fabric.
kjym Kathy
I've just finished 'bolting' all my stash of 1m pieces and longer ... whew!! I went to a local sign maker - he cut me corflute pieces that are 200mm x 300mm (8" x 12") - ribs running the width of the pieces (important!) and charges me $1 each for them - and I can fit a lot more on my shelf than reusing the free ones that I had. He does like me to order them 100 at a time - :) - that way he can keep HIS costs down :) Between a few quilting buddies - this is an economical way of doing it