View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 03:53 AM
leatheflea

Originally Posted by katie1
Did you add the embroidered squares after the quilt was pieced? I love to add embroidery to most things that I make, but finding empty areas is sometimes hard to do. i don't know enough about changing a quilt pattern beforehand to know where to leave empty space to insert a solid block. After it's all laid out and ready to sew into rows, then I can get rid of a block here and there. I don't think I've ever seen a commercial pattern printed out in a book or magazine that reserves areas for embroidery. I'd love to find a nice quilt heirloom pattern - there's so many beautiful heirloom embroideries. I'm too old to have a need to make baby quilts and not old enough to think about grandkids yet.
There was no reserved space I had to omit pieced blocks for the embroidered, I used eq6 to help me with the layout of this quilt. I found a pattern called hugs and kisses on the internet somwhere and found one of the blocks in eq6, then I had to draft the other one. The embroidered blocks were done before put in the quilt, my mom made them back in 1987.