View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 01:28 AM
Izy

Now I just visited the website and downloaded the free sample....I think this is a confusing way to do it....

It shows each piece with a seam allowance and an internal measurement...very confusing!!

Here's what I did:

Choose any block pattern that you can reproduce onto squared paper with each square measuring 1/4", then draw out the whole block pattern EXACTLY to finished size NO seam allowances. I colour the block with pencils to remind which fabric to use. Then with a dull rotary blade and ruler, cut this up exactly on the lines, and put into an envelope.

1. Select a section, centre on fabric ensure enough seam allowance on all sides with extra if it is an external block edge which you don't need to tack to the paper, leave this one unsewn.

2. Pin in place, then tack paying attention to fold corners and points neatly.

3. Continue with all pieces, then give them a light iron to form a lovely sharp edge.

4. Pin adjoining pieces lining up each edge carefully. Start to whip stitch them right sides together, just taking a few threads of each piece, I start about half inch away from an edge, then double back to make it more secure (less chance of it coming undone at the edges...wonder how I know that?)

5. When you come to intersections be careful not to catch too much of the fabric that you have folded under as this will need to open out to lay flatter when you take the papers out.

6. I iron each block on the reverse checking all seams are lying the correct way at intersections etc. Leave the papers in at this stage as it stops the blocks from getting creased. A quick squirt of starch on the front helps too.

7. Join each block to it's neighbour and when it is surrounded you can remove the papers are reuse.

8. If you are doing hexagons, you can join them in sections like the grandmothers garden, the ajoin them, at which point you can free up the papers.

Here is a link to a site that gives you free downloadable graph papers which you size yourself then save and print off as many as you like, cheaper than buying them!!

2" half squared triangles!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57477[/ATTACH]

this is quarter inch graph paper
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57478[/ATTACH]

hexagons to download
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57568[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-57477.pdf (46.3 KB, 213 views)
Attachment-57478.pdf (5.4 KB, 217 views)
Attachment-57568.pdf (6.0 KB, 211 views)