View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 10:19 AM
TootieAnn

Originally Posted by Hosta
I bought a small sewing box at an auction inside was a small cardboard box of black pins and the box said bereavement pins. so I am assuming they have something to do with a funeral they were too small for hat pins only about an inch long. I am just curious about them as I haven't been able to find out hardly anything about them.
Oh yes. They were popular in the South. I really don't know anything about them though. There's a website called Womenfolk.com that has links to historical sites (I think). They might have some information on the pins. If you find out anything, let me know. I'd be interested in knowing more about them. My first thought on the pins is that the custom of wearing bereavement pins in the US probably goes back to the Civil War. I believe it is more likely that your pins are from one of the World Wars. Either way though, I think you were fortunate to get the pins at auction like that. I think it's a great find. Do let me know if you find out anything. I think it's an interesting topic.