View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 09:30 PM
ShellyQ

I wrote a book and the dang server chewed it up :lol: . Anyhow

I wanted to share a couple of quilts with you. My Grandma passed away 14 years ago this month, and I always think of her a bit more at this time of year. She was born in 1917 and passed in 1993 some how doesn't seem that long ago, I owe her a great deal as she taught me the basics to alot of very useful crafts, also how to cook and take care of a house.

This first quilt is one I made as a memorial to her was started in November 1993 and it took me 3 years to finish it. Was hand pieced over papers using the English piecing method, My Grandma had taught me to piece hexagons over papers and that was the only method I knew at the time. I had no rulers or rotary cutters and the patts were drawn using pages from an old school maths book. It is made with all sorts of different fabrics of all kinds of different weight, so it has held up pretty well considering.

The backing is a polished chintz that I have mentioned previously that came from Grandmas' stash. It was terrible stuff to quilt :? but even now looking back I wouldn't have it any other way. Making this quilt bought me alot of comfort at the time as I remembered all the things we had shared as I stitched it. It is hand quilted and I have included a couple of pics of parts of the back to try and show you, the quilting doesn't show up very well though. I called this quilt "Grandmas' Allsorts", I think that was rather appropriate :P

More pics to come

Attached Thumbnails attachment-54197.jpe   attachment-54467.jpe   attachment-55485.jpe