Old 02-02-2011, 07:52 PM
dunster
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose L
Oh, say...there are really only 10 "Y" seams (totally not meaning to be argumentative) at least the way I have always put the Lone Stars together. I would sew three diamonds together, straight line seams. Do the same with the next three diamonds, now you have two halves. Place both halves together and sew one straight seam down the center. No "Y's" there! As long as you match your center with a pin and sew from the center outward when putting the two halves together your seams should all meet in the center. 1/4 inch seams are very very important for this type of block to come out correctly. Just FYI.

Rose
Yes, that is how the center is put together. But around the center is a 6-block ring that must be put together with 6 y's. Then the next ring of 18 blocks goes on without y-seams, but around that is another ring of 18 blocks that requires 12 y-seams. You need to see the whole quilt to get the idea. Since there are 6 points, there's no way I could see there being 10 y's, since it would need to be some multiple of 6, right?