View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 AM
karenm36

I've heard it said that a little knowledge can be dangerous. Well, I know a little about quilting but have decided I know "enough" to make a scrap quilt for my DS who will be 21 in April. (Hope that's enough time to do this!) And now that I've gotten into this...I'm wondering if I've bitten off more than I can chew! Help me please!

I decided (in recognition of his love for recycling/reusing) to use his old shirts (and some of Dad's and a couple from Goodwill) to make scrap blocks. I did buy some yardage. I really need some input at this point before I go much further since I don't have stash so to speak of (too new at this to have acquired much at this point) and finances are really tight so I don't want to make mistakes that would require me to go by more stuff.

Here are my questions:

1) Overall, do these 9 1/2 inch blocks look good on point?

2) On point (or not) I've tried numerous designs to decide what to put in between the blocks including making connector blocks but it all seemed too busy. (The scrappiness seems busy enough). So I'm thinking of just using the dark denim sashing between each block. I think this sets each block up to be enjoyed on it's own merit and yet a good part of the whole. What do you think?

3) Currently I have a lighter blue denim in the center of the sashings...which would provide a lighter blue throughout the quilt to tie in the lighter blue of some of the shirts and not take away from the blocks. BUT it does tone down the quilt a bit. Is this still a good idea? 3 other options would be: 1) put in the deeper brick red fabric in all the corners, 2) make the corners scrappy, 3) put in the blue paisley fabric in all the corners... not as bold as the red but more interesting than the lighter blue denim. Ideas?

4) One note of concern...the deeper brick red is bought yardage and the softer red plaid is an old shirt. They're in the same color family but their intensities are different. Does this matter since it's a scrappy quilt? or should I forego the red plaid...I do like richness of the brighter color.

ANY and all thoughts or ideas you all have would be greatly appreciated before I go any further. Thanks so much, Karen

I hope the pieces of dk. blue are enough for you to get the idea of the sashing around each block...didn't want to cut them yet until I know for sure what I'm going to do.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]129828[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-129823.jpe