Thread: In a quanary
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 12:26 PM
stitchofclass2

My 8-year old DGD and I are going to start a quilt for her to make. At first I thought that a rag quilt would be perfect. However, I have never made one. Today I cut some 5" blocks and did one square and I believe that this will be to difficult for her (the angle seams to hold the fab together etc.).

I am wondering if you have any ideas for us. I will not be able to be with her for the whole quilt so it has to be something she can work on when I am not in town.

Have any of you used the "cotton theory" method shown on Nancy's show? You would put the blocks together; quilt the blocks; and then use her unique piecing to sew them together. At the moment, I cannot remember what it is called. She uses two pieces of fabric strips sewn down the middle then attaches the strips to the blocks with a l" seam. She trims the seam allowance on the ride side and folds the remaining fabric over twice and sews it down with a decorative stitch on the machine.

I was able to find a video on YouTube but it is not as complete as I would like it to be. I am going to try it on some scraps when I finish posting this. Thanks for your time and help. Yolanda Wood River