Old 02-03-2011, 05:22 PM
JoanneS

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I bought an Accucut and sold it about 6-7 months later. It simply wasn't worth the money and time involved. The machine is the least of the cost. Dies are $29-109 and mats are $10-15. Mats need to be replaced every 2 or 3 tops you cut. I cut a top using the rag die and it ruined 2 mats. If you want a 6" square or triange you have to cut fabric 6.5 or 7 inches to fit through so why not just cut your size. The only practical use I saw was if you liked to applique it was easier cutting the shapes but again dies are pricey and how often will you use same ones again? I ended up within 2 months of purchase buying almost another $500 in dies and mats. Also it says cuts 8 layers of fabric. They did not all come out even. When I called company they suggested 4 layers and add a piece of paper over it to prevent sliding. Took forever. I found it much easier to cut the pieces with mat and rotary cutter. I sold the machine and all the dies for $400. If you own a quilt shop and want to sell charm packs or jelly rolls it might be worth the investment I guess

Originally Posted by rvsfan
Just exactly what do you do with your Accuquilts and Accuquilt go? Do you just cut shapes that you could do the same by using a template? I want one because it's a new toy and I could tighten my belt a little and afford it, I just can't imagine what I would actually do with it. Seems like a lot of money to accomplish what you can do with templates. Maybe I'm missing something???
8 layers is not realistic on a Go, but it is with a Studio cutter. I can easily cut 4 layers, and I do use paper, and it DOES prevent slipping & sliding. It does NOT take me forever. I can 'rough' cut strips quickly and then the GO cuts them PERFECTLY into the pieces I need, AND I REALLY SAVE TIME BECAUSE I NEVER NEED TO SQUARE UP!!!!