Old 02-03-2011, 05:45 PM
quiltnmom

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I make quilts for families of those who have lost a loved one in the line of duty. This last week we had a correction officer murdered. It has really hit the community here and she left behind a boyfriend who is so devistated and having a difficult time. The fabric I have is police officer fabric given to me by Robert Kaufman what other fabric would you use? I am having a hard time with this because I am not sure if putting the police fabric in the quilt under these circumstances would be something he would want. I would like to make him a comfort quilt. Please help. Thank you!! Jade
Jade, my husband is in the law enforcement field so I asked him what he thought. His recommendation is to NOT use the police officer fabric. His thoughts are to maybe include in the label that it is in memory of the officer and her years of service.

As a thought, when an officer has died in the line of duty, other officers will wear a black ribbon across their shield in honor of that officer. Maybe you could work in a black sashing or boarder or maybe just a single block in the middle with the black ribbon across it.