Thread: Men who quilt
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 05:33 AM
ladyinpurple135

Originally Posted by SWChick
I am a newbie so I don't know quilters on the board but need some help. My DH is a disabled vet with too much time on his hands. I think he would be a great quilter because he has a great eye for detail, color and design. He has helped me cut a few times and each cut is perfect. The trouble is that he doesn't believe men quilt. He is so old school that he can't belive that a man can work with fabric and be stright. Need some help in convincing him that men make great quilters. HELP
Can you say Ricky Timms? Probably one of the most famous male quilters of all times - and I do love hs applique!! Or John Flynn? He was an engineer before the quilting bug. Also, google "Scott Murkin" - he is a Doctor (as in M.D.) here in NC but also a fantastic quilter, quilt judge, etc. You might look on the internet for men quilters from the past - mthere are quite a few. I understand the "old school men" thing as my husband and son are a bit like that, too.

Years ago if a young boy was ill and could not go out and do the "manly" things - permanently or temporarily due to illness - many times they were taught to quilt (hand piece etc.) to keep them occupied since there was no sports on TV, radio, video games or even electricity depending on the times. I remember reading in a magazine years ago about an elderly gentleman who had been quilting for a long time. He was quite well-known but unfortunately my memory has left and I just cannot remember his name. And there are many men who are getting into the long-arm quilting business.

Hope he gets the quilting bug!!
Sandy in Mooresville, NC