Old 02-04-2011, 07:48 AM
tjradj

Update on the Morse Apollo 6400 that I got at a thrift store. She sews very well, but definitely needed a new tension assembly if I wanted it "restored." Someone had drilled a hole through the middle and put a big a**ed screw in there. It worked, but needed tender loving care should you want to adjust it. You kind of had to push it in and turn it until it grabbed, and then see if you could make it tighter or looser.
Any way, I digress.
I went out and bought the Elna Supramatic, so I thought, I really didn't need the Morse, and I really don't have room more the cabinet it came in.
So, I listed it on Freecycle. Within 24 hours I had 8 people wanting it.
I gave it to a young(ish) lady who had 3 kids and made their clothes but due to moving out of her home for safety, did not have her machine anymore. I showed her how to manage the tension thing and she'll have no problem.
It will have a good home, and I consider the $20 I spent on it a good will gesture.
Well, the story doesn't end there.
A lady at church asked if I would teach the 6 girls in her girl's club about quilting. Of course I said "sure." The girls are 11 yrs old. So, I got to thinking that, with my Janome 6260 and my Elna and my Janome Horizon, I'd have lots of machines as they could pair up. Then my 6260 decided she needed a spa day. I knew it was coming but of course these things always happen when it's inconvenient. Right? She started having "Fn" alarms. (No, I am not cussing) She also needs new electrical and footpedal cords due to an overzealous foster puppy chewing on them.*he has a good home now. I also put a chunk in the needle plate that I did buff out a bit, but needs some better hand to do a good job, AND I have a gouge in the side of the hook from a broken needle. Now that I was able to smoooth off and allow her to sew again. So, basically, she's in for a spa week or two, or three...
I decided in the store to have a "peek" at the trade ins. There was a White "jeans machine" sitting there for @ $100. It weighed a substantial amount so I knew she wasn't all plastic inside. Considering the bench fee for a tune up was $80, and she was tuned up, clean as a whistle and came with a 3 month warranty, I bought it. Now I will have 3 machines again that the girls can go crazy on. And that one I can leave at the church so I don't have to lug three machines around every week. Well, that's my life story for now. Wish me luck!