View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 03:04 AM
patricej
Administrator

personally, i don't participate in swaps anymore. i got tired of reading the snide remarks posted by people who'd gotten trades they didn't deem good enough for their precious piles. i was also outraged to find out that at least one member was expelled from a swap because her fabrics and blocks weren't considered "good enough" by one or more of the others.

when someone insists they'll only swap for "shop quality" fabric, what they're really saying is: "i paid a ridiculous amount of money for mine, so don't send me anything that isn't equally outrageously expensive."
it's a country club mentality. it excludes and seperates those who are not fortunate enough to be able to afford to shop in "the shops". it hurts feelings and makes perfectly worthy people feel inferior.

i've said this before and will say it again and again and again: price and source are NOT proof of quality.

most of the fabric in the quilting section at hancock's looks and feels like the fabrics i've seen in shops at much higher prices. yet there are some who won't buy one square inch of it.

most of the fabric i've seen in joann's leaves me cold. yet there are some who absolutely love joann's fabrics.

a small percentage of the fabrics at our local walmart are just as nice as some i've seen in "the shops".

the only fabrics from my stash that have ever bled in the wash have come from shops - with prices starting at $9.99 per yard. some have shrunk, too. a friend of mine paid top dollar for a shop fabric that's so cheesy, i recommended she put a layer of muslin under it for stability.

i received two name brand fabrics that had starting prices of $9.99 per yard. if i hadn't gotten them for a rock-bottom closeout price, i'd have sent them straight back - that's how thin and flimsy they are. if i'd seen them first in person, i wouldn't have paid a dollar for either.

while i'll admit there are other "issues" with walmart fabrics, not one has ever bled on me, and only one has ever shrunk. (not counting the stuff that starts at a dollar a yard. you never know what's going to happen when that goes into the wash.)

no matter what you get, you'd find a line of people who love it ... and another who will turn up their noses in contempt.

buy what YOU like and what YOU can afford. don't worry about anybody else's opinion.