View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 06:24 AM
deerviewquilting

If Hancocks now carry Moda, I'll shop there! I didn't know that. I'm addicted to Moda and their designers (Fig Tree and 3 Sisters, especially).
I "try" not to pay $9 a yard. I'll wait for a line until it's on closeout, 30% + off.
I'll shop for my wide backs at Joanns. While I was there, I was surprised at some of the prices. They have gone up since last looking. There are some at $9 a yard.
I'll buy some of the licensed stuff at Walmart. I did have one experience with their fabric that I didn't like. I made a top with Avlyn's Zzoom fabric. I used the checkered flag as a border. For the backing, I found a different checker flag at Walmart. The first wash, the Walmart fabric faded from black to gray, whereas the Avlyn was still dark black.
As a machine quilters, I found that buying quality fabric from a quilt shop doesn't guarantee a good piecer. I've seen some badly pieced tops from quilt shop quality fabric.
When first starting to quilt. I shopped exclusively at Joanns. Mainly for the prices. I didn't want to pay more if I were to mess up. Took the stress out of piecing. If I screwed it up, I wasn't out too much. I'll still shop there if I'm trying a new pattern. Just did one recently like that.
Sometimes I wish I didn't discover Moda. Then all the new fabric lines they come out with wouldn't always be screaming my name!! :lol: