Old 02-04-2011, 10:36 AM
vintagemotif

[quote=kwendt][quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by kwendt
Ah... here's ho
I also just thought of something to tell all my good friends here at VMS: a short time ago, I answered a craigslist ad about 3 vintage/antique Singer machines a lady was selling. On one, the decals looked... odd. Very garish/colorful. The S/N was also very odd. Looked like an old machine. With help of some on this site, I was able to find out that it was NOT a vintage/old machine, it was of new manufacture. The lady was also billing her FW as antique.... but I wasn't buying it. I emailed her back and without accusing her of anything, informed her that her one machine at least was a copy or new manufacture and was not a vintage Singer at all. I didn't hear back from her. Last week, she posted the same ad again, the same pictures of the machines, again as antique/vintage. So be careful, be wise and educated! That's why I LOVE this site!
I have seen numerous times in my wanderings on Cl of people selling these machines and calling them vintage. Nothing new here.
And yes be careful. I have even seen the same picture of a machine posted across the nation. And sometimes it is one week here and the next week somewhere else. I called on one machine once ( not a machine often seen), only to be told in a Maryland accent (and I know a Maryland accent because I grew up there) that he couldn't make time this weekend, didn't think the machine worked, why do I want it, and it would look great sitting on a shelf and then laughed. That call made me very uncomfortable.
So yes, be careful. There are jerks out there too.