Old 02-04-2011, 02:36 PM
luv2learn

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by luv2learn
Billy, re: the cleaning process, I have removed my parts, haven't cleaned w/kerosene yet, but started using the non-pumice goop on the machine. . . No matter how much or how many times I apply and wipe off, there is still a tacky/sticky feel to the finish. . . is that just because I haven't gotten through all the layers of grime yet? will it eventually be smoothe without that tackiness? Would the kerosene cut that or what? thanx luv2learn
Okay the shellac maybe getting a little soft on you. I would wipe off what you have on the machine real good ant let it sit for a while and see if it straightens out. If it does we know the problem. Do not get the kerosene on the finish if you can keep from it. I put a pan on the bed under the arm to catch the drippings from me brushing the parts behind the faceplate. The thing about kerosene is it will not rape the finish off if you get a splash on the machine. But do not leave it on for any length of time.

Billy
Billy, It has been sitting for two days and I did go back and check it. . here's is the situation: as I gently rub my fingers over and look at it with side lighting, it is VERY SPOTTY: very rough (where decals are because I have cleaned those areas less), sticky/tacky (where I have moderately cleaned), and smooth and a little shiny where I have cleaned most.

So how do I best get it even. . I'm sure I cannot clean the decals as much as the little shiny spots, but how do I even out the rest. . . are those the things the liquid gold will even up?