Thread: Tin Lizzie
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 07:48 PM
aborning

Originally Posted by momkeil
I have a Tin Lizzie, have had about 3 years or so. I don't get to do as much quilting as I like, but I like the long arm and the frame. I've been pretty basic with stippling quilting, just did a baby quilt and tried different patterns for the sashing, etc.
I do have a question, if someone can help.

I seem to have problems with my thread breaking regularly during quilting no matter how fast the speed is.
Also, I've notice that especially at the beginning of the quilt the bottom thread is very loose and gets bunched up. I think this is what causes the thread to break. I have the quilt tight, I have the presser foot down, I have the top and sides basted, what else can I do to avoid this problem, it looks bad and I spend a lot of time taking out stitches and re-sewing.
Thanks
What kind of thread are you using? And what weight? I just got my Tin Lizzie in December and tried out various threads. I found that the thinner weight threads also broke for me. I do best with 40 wt all cotton thread in both the top and in the bobbin. I also think your tension may need some adjusting for your bottom loose thread--but it may help if you use the same weight thread in teh bobbin as you have on top. The Dealer that sold me the Tin Lizzie said she uses nothing but 40 weight all cotton thread--so I am kind of going be that. When I did experiment with other threads--I also had breakage.