Old 12-23-2008, 06:21 AM
ksusan

I made my own version of the Big Board (tm) by using the plywood with rounded corners.

First layer next to the wood: single layer felted wool blanket cut to exact shape of wooden surface - no overhang.

Second layer: is teflon coated material with overhang large enough to be folded over edge and brought underneath to be stapled. Cut strips of manilla file folder on top of the teflon material added stability to the area where staples were placed.

Third layer is removable duck cover. Wide bias tape used to make casing for nylon drape cord used as drawstring. Allow two opening areas, one on each side midway lengthwise. Cord cut in two pieces allows easy insertion and adjustment. Duck cover wears like iron -- excuse the pun :)

I use this on my adjustable height ironing board. Multiple uses include:
cutting surface with use of appropriate mats, place to layout blocks during assembly, surface to rest part of quilt when pinning or sewing.

Quiltingday suggested a firm base when I was in the brainstorming stage for the board. That's why I used only one layer of felted wool. I have never regreted that decision. Thanks, quiltingday :) This is definitely my favorite quilting tool.

Piecefully yours,
Kay Susan